Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why I Am Studying Japanese

"Why are you taking Japanese, there's no language requirement for SEAS and it takes up a lot of time?" Well, so far I have studied English and Spanish. I wanted to learn another language, but I wanted to learn one that was very different from the ones that I've done. Since Spanish is a Romance language (Latin derived), I decided to look at a language that was about as far away from that as possible. I noticed that after taking so much Spanish, I am able to watch shows without subtitles and actually understanding most of it. After watching so much anime growing up, I decided to go the trilingual route and study Japanese (despite all the warnings against it).

I'm excited to learn Japanese, to be able to watch shows in Japanese without needing subtitles. The hardest thing I foresee is balancing Japanese stuff with the other BME classes, but I'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Mailing said...

I am terrified one or more of my classes will start suffering because of the workload.... It seems to happen every semester with me but I'm determined to stop it this semester.

Though I think I can already feel myself slipping behind on my ひらがな in this class... Sigh.